Jharkhand has high potential for processing of vegetable crops as the State is the second largest producer of Peas, 6th for Tomato in the country. Jharkhand is the only state in the country where Cauliflower, Cabbage,Tomato, Capsicum and French beans of high quality are cultivated under open field conditions and exported to neighbouring states throughout the year due to conducive weather conditions. Moreover, the State has about 2 million tons of high quality surplus vegetables available for processing or export and the climate is also very conducive for round the year cultivation of high value crops viz., Cauliflower, Broccoli, Lettuce etc. Most of the vegetables grown in the State have good acceptability in fresh retail markets.
Food processing sector in Jharkhand :
- Endowed with a favourable climatic condition in 6 horticultural sub-zones conducive to cultivation ofhorticulture crops (quality vegetables, fruits , spices and flowers).
- Strategic location as the gateway to Eastern India and SAARC nations – well-connected internationally and nationally (upcoming ADKIC (Amritsar-Delhi-Kolkata Industrial corridor) connecting 7 states will pass through districts Hazaribag and Dhanbad).
- Large scale production of organic vegetables and spices offering tremendous investment opportunities in a fast and growing market.
- Presence of leading food processors including Mother Dairy, Parle, Real Agro, Moreish, Swastik, Osam and Rollickt.
- Investor Friendly Sector Specific Policies (i) Food Processing Industry Policy (ii) feed Processing Industry Policy.
- Availability of about 20 lakhs tonnes of high quality vegetables suitable for processing or export.